Showing posts with label Ethiopia. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Ethiopia. Show all posts

Monday, March 14, 2011

Thinking...

I've had a lot of time to think about why we are stuck in this adoption process.
One theory I've kicked around is the fact that it has kept us here in Singapore--we've been really interested in leaving for a while now, but haven't wanted to redo all the paperwork in another country. I see the stability that Matt gives to the school (esp. now in the midst of yet another quick administration change)and have to say it's a GREAT thing that he's here.

Another reason may be that we needed to be brought to the end of ourselves and fully rely on God (and HIS will). We truly can do nothing about this situation and are at His mercy.

Perhaps this is all in preparation for where we will go next. Maybe it will be a place that requires great patience.

Or maybe, we needed to see how far our commitment could be stretched. I was just thinking today that we are a lot like Horton the Elephant (Dr. Seuss) who refused to give up on the people on the speck (a person's a person no matter how small). Horton protected, searched for, and took to safety the community living on the speck (in spite of being hounded by a vulture and other jungle animals). I'm a lot like Horton. I wouldn't want someone to give up on me and I plan to keep going in this adoption ordeal no matter how long it takes. There are older boys that have been in the orphanage for years-I don't think that is God's plan for China!

Whatever the case, I rest secure that there is a reason and purpose behind it and someday I will understand. For now I remain, yours truly, a person trying to be content in every circumstance (and rarely succeeding!)

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Adoption Update

Well, I'd like to have some GOOD news (for once) BUT I don't have any!! That said I'm so thankful for all the prayers that went up for us. I can feel them sustaining me!

Here's what happened... The orphanage director, from where the boys were staying previously, showed up without the mothers. (Both boys have living mothers that could not afford to keep them.) Because of the recent scandal in which a director was thought to have "bought" children, the judge REALLY wants to speak with the mothers. So, the director said she was "sure" she could find them in a month. So, we have yet another court hearing on
NOVEMBER 23.
We've already asked the question, "What if the mothers don't show up again?" Guess, we'll have to wait and see!

Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I've found this to be TRUE! I'm really NOT anxious. We've been prayed for by students (in Korean), family, supporters, and people we don't even know. It is helping--keep it up and Thank you for praying! It's in God's hands.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Adoption Rollercoaster

Well, we had a Friday update from our case worker and were surprised to hear that there was a hold up that could affect us. The Ethiopian government just installed a new computer program for issuing birth certificates. The only problem is that it only processes in Amharic, the main language. The difficulty lies in the fact that the children take a Western last name which cannot be processed in this program. A lot of different adoption agencies are working with the government to get this resolved.

PRAY that this challenge is overcome within the next week. The birth certificate is necessary for the passport and medical exam. These all need to be completed before we (and many others) can travel. Thanks for praying with us!!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Adoption Update

It's a good possibility that we could have a son--soon. We are still talking with the agency about a 14 month old boy. His age isn't definite, but he has already been declared an orphan. It does put him in the same year of school as Ana. We think we might just hold him back a year to separate them.
I really feel this is God answering prayers. Just a month ago it looked like we wouldn't be traveling until February or March. But, with the courts NOT closing and the almost immediate referral, a fall adoption is a real possibility. More updates to come...