Monday, September 6, 2010

Education

As I am a teacher it would stand to reason that I would have some strong views on education. Therefore, I've been really angry/annoyed when someone says to me, "Why she not in school?" (this usually happens 3 to 5 times a week!!!)

First of all I am a rebel. I don't believe children really need kindergarten AS LONG AS the parents are willing to teach at home. I also am not eager to turn my child's education over to another person (even if it would give me some much needed free time.) God gave us the child--it's our responsibility to see that he/she achieves--not some teacher (esp. non-Christian). Also I believe children should have a childhood full of play and free time. There will be plenty of time for work later--at least 50 years of school/work! I think I can let her play for 4 or 5 years! Though she is definitely behind her Asian peers in the fact area, Ana's imagination has blossomed. I often find her riding a horse, cooking lunch, packing for a trip, fixing her car, or teaching her baby. She has imaginary friends and pets. Imagination can not be taught. It has to be awakened through varied experiences and free time to think!

Secondly, my philosophy of education is VERY different from the Asian philosophy. (I do have to say I appreciate how involved the parents are in their child's education AND the emphasis on excellence. American education would do well to adopt this!) It seems to include a lot of rote memorization and PRESSURE from parents and teachers. I believe children should enjoy learning (though not all subjects will be "fun")and have some freedom in choosing what they like. Therefore, as long as Analia does her best at what God calls her to do, I don't care what her job may be. Education will not make you successful, discovering what God has called you to be will!

I love this quote by Martin Luther King Jr.:
"If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures, sweep streets like Beethoven composed music.... Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say: Here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well."

Sorry if I've offended anyone--just had to get that off my chest!

No comments: