Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Happenings

-It is my firm belief that no one should have a chandelier unless they have a maid that likes to take down lots of glass disks, wash them, and put them back up. Besides the fact that I think it's ugly, it hangs really low, and dust collects on it, it doesn't put out a ton of light. Too bad it's not mine--I'd recycle it! I spent over two hours cleaning it this morning which doesn't help my hateful feelings toward it.
-Today is Thaipusam. From about 10 last night (and all through the night AND all day today) there has been constant drumming, singing, and instrumentals. Yikes. Ana woke up at 2:30 thinking it was morning. The temple always has music in the early morning. This is also the holiday where men poke themselves with the rods--sometimes even through the face. They also carry heavy loads from temple to temple in penance. I said last year we'd go stay in a hotel-
We didn't--wish we had!
-We haven't heard anything about a court date, but I know that there is a group ahead of us that they still haven't given a court date. Today was yet another holiday in Ethiopia--so I hope things get going after this! There is someone traveling this week that promised to get us lots of pictures of Mitike which will be nice since we have so few.

No comments: