Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Our Last Days

On Wednesday Matt took China and Mitike down to the Well while Ana and I strolled around the local vegetable market.  When they got back we headed out for lunch. (I, very sadly, forgot to take my camera!!)  Our intention was to go back and eat at the pizza place we ate at on Sunday.  However, it was closed.  This worked out for our benefit, because the next place we found was BETTER!  We got three pizzas and homemade raviloli with a mushroom white sauce.  It was amazing!  The Italian owner served you himself and the quality of the food was fantastic.  The best part?  The price!!  The pizzas were around four US dollars!!  We then walked over to the Warorot Market.  I wanted to go there because I heard there were a lot of fabrics--boy were there ever.  In one store I bought six meters of fabric, two spools of thread, and six buttons for about six US dollars--how is that possible??  If I lived here I would be going to this area a lot.  Again, it had more of an artsy feel, rather than being a tourist trap.  Inside the market were all sorts of herbs and spices.  If I wasn't so well stocked from Singapore, I would definitely have bought there. 
I also want to note that because our flight doesn't leave until midnight, the owner of the hotel graciously let us stay in the room all day AT NO CHARGE!  Matt really wasn't looking forward to sitting in the airport most of the day and this lets the kids swim and maybe even get a couple hours of sleep!
On Thursday we went to another more expat grocery store.  We found Rice Kripies, Mac and Cheese, and some cream cheese at good prices.  Our suitcases will be full of dirty laundry and food!
We ate local--chicken on a stick and sticky rice.  The chicken had some Thai spices on it--so it had good flavor.
 Then we stopped in a little store right in front of our hotel.  They make flavored ice desserts.  Matt and I shared a snowball--think ice, sweetened condensed milk, and flavoring---YUMMM!  Ana enjoyed a strawberry icee that was as big as she was (and cost about .90 cents!!) 
I'm bummed we didn't try it until the last day!  If you stay at the Opium try out the "I Am"  shop!

No comments: