Sunday, April 21, 2013

Glad That's Over (at least for today)!

I took China (and by default Mitike) to the local hospital to get looked at by an orthodontist.  A very kind dentist that saw us at ISQ met and translated for us (in the beginning).  When I explained that we were trying to start the braces here to save costs, she understood.  So, she said, "Why not start today?"  We were then shuffled along to some graduate students who took molds and x-rays.  First, I had to go upstairs to get a receipt which the international clinic hadn't given me. (If you don't have this you can't get in line.) When you visit a Chinese hospital you must have a registration card (if not going to the international clinic). Did China have one?  Nope--they wrote out what I needed in Chinese and I went downstairs to get it.  I had an idea of where I was supposed to go, but ended up asking for help at the information counter.  (This turned out to be a wise decision as I ended up cutting to the front of the line!!)  I raced back upstairs, having left China and Mitike up there.  Next, I had to pay.  The graduate students entered the registration card number and added in the charges.  Off I went again.  Having found what I assumed was the right counter, I watched what others were doing.  Hand the lady the card and then pay.  This was even easier for me as I was using my debit card--didn't have to get the amount right.  These cashier ladies are pros--they are super quick at getting the masses through the line.  (It did strike me how patiently Chinese wait in line.  They are so used to huge masses of people---and this is a small city---that it's a norm.) The only problem--the total wasn't right.  So, back I went again.  The cute little graduate students hadn't pushed enter on the computer, so not all the charges were there.  Back to the cashier which had an even longer line.  And guess what?  We have to go back tomorrow!  Wish me luck!

Total cost (for seeing two dentists, molds, and some x-rays) less than 100 US dollars!!

No comments: