Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Hooray--(Almost) Done!

 After I ripped off the carpet--the kitchen stairs looked like this!
They were in pretty bad shape--they are about a hundred years old--so not too bad I guess.  I had to fill in holes.  We're guessing the banister was replaced when the kitchen cabinets were put in in the 70's.  
 I also did some sanding and staining.  My goal wasn't to make it perfectly smooth-- would have taken a long time to do that!  I love how it turned out.  Shows it's age, but is shiny and well sealed.  Should last for another 30-40 years at least. The only thing I have left to do is stain and poly the base of the banister.  We'll also eventually add some quarter round to the back of each stair.
 Although a lot of these projects are time consuming, we enjoy doing them and LOVE how much they improve the appearance of our house.

No comments: