Sunday, September 6, 2009

Adoption Craziness

I know some of you think that we are CRAZY to adopt TWO at once, but as I listened to the Stephen Curtis Chapman song "Something Crazy," I found words to what I'm feeling. "And it's crazy when love gets a hold of you, And it's crazy things that love will make you do, And it's crazy but it's true, You really don't know love at all, 'Til it's making you do something crazy." Although it seems crazy to most, God has given us a great love for these boys we've never met and so we know that this venture though deemed by the world to be crazy is of Him!

Here's a post from another adoptive family. It really challenged my thinking!!

...That is 168.8 million needy children like Michael and Patricia. Seems like a big number, huh? It shouldn't, because there are 2.1 BILLION people on this earth who profess to be Christians. Jesus followers. Servants. Gospel live-ers. And if only 8 percent of those Christians would care for just ONE of these needy children, they would all be taken care of. And now I'm just sad again. And I want to take care of all 169 million. But as I look into Patricia's eyes, that since just 48 hours ago have turned bright and smiley, as I smell her hair freshly washed with baby shampoo and snuggle her into her new footie pajamas (side note: is their ANYTHING cuter than a baby in soft cotton footie pajamas?!) God tells me that this one is enough. That He will hold the others while they wait for someone to come along and hold them tight and give them their milk and their medicine. That He doesn't ask me to take them all but to stop for the ONE because that one is Jesus, His son. Stop for the little boy with white head and scabs covering his body, stop for the baby with feces covering her dress, so weak she can't hold up her head. Stop and take the ones right in front of me and trust Him with the rest. He whispers that it will be ok and that I can smile because tonight 2 less children are hungry and that is good for today.