Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Unexpected


Life is full of the UNEXPECTED.  Sometimes it turns out to be pleasant.  Today we stumbled upon the free Christmas lunch in the cafeteria (complete with harp players and peanut butter chocolate pie).  This afternoon a stupendous nurse UNEXPECTEDLY brought up a recovered stroke patient to encourage me.

Other times the UNEXPECTED involves crushing choices--like giving up the career you saw yourself in forever.  Sometimes the UNEXPECTED is jolting-it knocks your socks off.  

In my recent experience I have found the key with the UNEXPECTED is my own attitude.  Am I seeing the POSITIVE? (there is always POSITIVE!!) Do I REJOICE in the small things?  Am I CELEBRATING what I have?

When I first saw my husband after his stroke, he couldn't hold his head up, couldn't speak, and had very little life in his eyes--a mind numbing experience.  The UNEXPECTED has taught me that my plans aren't always God's--He's moving me in a different direction for the next few months.  I'm going along with God, choosing to be JOYFUL in the process, and looking for what He's trying to teach me.  

No comments: