Sunday, December 28, 2014

Today in Church...

we found out that our greater neighborhood (a mile around Shepherd) is the third most violent in the city! There are at least 15,000 people in this small area.

It's great when some of the bigger churches from the burbs come in and help out (Shepherd COUNTS on these AMAZING volunteers!)  BUT what helps most is when people move in, develop relationships with their neighbors, and face what they're facing.

If you want to see this lived out, come visit.  Thanks to fantastic, Christian neighbors that intentionally moved into a struggling neighborhood,  our block is a green square in the midst of orange and red on the crime map.  It works!  We don't need more police, we need more Christians willing to move in and get their hands dirty.



I've had lots of people ask, "Do you feel safe?"  I can honestly say that I have never felt like I was in any kind of danger.  I know God planted us here for a reason and HE will keep us safe.  



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Valerie,

Thank you for being so faithful to post on your blog. I enjoy the words of encouragement and wisdom. I think the post just needs a snap or two of the Eiler eye roll to keep it up in the top 1% of wondrous blogs! :D I have been praying for you and I will continue to do so. I am praying for an increase in wisdom and stamina as well as an outpouring of provision for ALL of the family's needs. I have had tears well up in my eyes as I have read of the challenges and set backs you have faced this year. BUT I see that you continue to press into Christ and he comforts and sustains all of you. Know that you are greatly loved and missed here in Singapore! Praying for the 5 of you to have an amazingly blessed and answer filled 2015. Love, JOyce

val said...

Thanks Joyce! It is -25 here today--we are missing Singapore :)