Monday, March 2, 2009

My Retreat


A very pretty sunset!

It's all in the details!! This is the top of a trash can!


My small group--women working in Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines, and the US.

I would have had this up sooner, but I have a sick baby. She's kept me up for the past four nights!
Anyway the retreat was great. The resort was nice and quiet, had excellent buffets, and had a super view of Patong beach. (Hint, hint Eilers--this is where we're going!) They had a great speaker who spoke on living passionately. She was a good storyteller and used a lot of humor. There were two professional counselors. I talked to one about strategies for staying open to new friendships when everybody around you is leaving. I had my hair cut. It's not that different--just shorter. There were also people to pray for you. Donna prayed especially for our next adoption. I got a lot of time with my friend Geetha. It was good for me to start talking about her leaving. They're moving to Canada in July.

The women of the harvest brought lots of treats: chocolate chips, candy, cereals, macaroni and cheese, maple extract, and more. They had everything decorated very nicely. Someone spent days crafting gift bags, thank you cards, and other small treats.
It's humbling to remember that someone not only donated the money for your trip, but others gave up three weeks of work to come and serve me. Still others worked hard to purchase and package all the goodies. What a blessing!

2 comments:

Meg said...

That sounds like an amazing trip, I'll have to write down the name of the resort for our honeymoon plans! I'm sad to hear Geetha and her family are leaving for Canada, you two seem very close. I hope Ana's feeling better and you get some sleep tonight! I'll send off the package probably Thursday (I hope?) and e-mail you the details.

Sara Campbell said...

I struggle with the same thing, Valerie. We always stay, they always seem to leave. I want to be close to everyone who comes, yet it is hard to realize I'll be saying goodbye to them in 2 years sometimes. We had one of these conferences here, but I couldn't go b/c they didn't take moms with nursing babies. I hope to go sometime.