Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The End Is Near!


Not the end of the world of course---just the end of my classes!  It will relieve so much stress and time pressure not to have to work on these every day of the week!  I'm going to buy some ice cream to celebrate!  Officially I finish next Tuesday.  I hope to get done with my work this weekend.

I started teaching third grade today.  It was interesting!  I heard comments like, "You know Mrs. Eiler I can sound like a squirrel." We did some squiggle art (where you draw a squiggle on a paper and they turn it into a picture and story).  Some pictures were amazingly creative.  I had everything from ninjas to bunny rabbits.  The stories really leveled me.  Probably about half my class cannot write a sentence.  I've asked God why He chose to place me at this place--maybe it is to help these students learn to communicate.

I have a lot of very active boys.  Pray that I can keep them engaged and learning!  Even though they rarely stop moving they are really sweet kids.  One boy told me that his mom told him he cannot stand next to any other boy.  He obeyed her the whole day :)  (Astounding in this day and age!!)

Having lived a very middle class, well traveled life I was astounded by how few opportunities these children have had.  I asked them to write down things they like.  Some have never been on a vacation.  Some never travel outside of Indianapolis.  Some don't now what flavor of ice cream is their favorite because they have only had one kind.  Rather than feel sorry for them I feel challenged to expand their horizons as much as possible.

Pray with me that these 17 third graders will leave this year knowing more about God's world and what He can enable them to accomplish in it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm, sounds like your 3rd grade class needs to connect to a 3rd grade class in Singapore! Aaron starts 3rd grade next Tuesday.

val said...

That would blow their minds--many of them have never traveled out of the city!!