Monday, April 28, 2014

Unexpected Opportunities to Be of Use!

Today (Saturday)...

Matt took Ana to a bicycle rodeo by himself.  They stayed for about an hour (I drove them of course!).  Ana was thrilled with her new bike helmet and I was so happy that Matt could do something independently!

A large church called Crossroads came through the neighborhood and gave large planter boxes out.  They also landscaped a couple of houses.  We joined in on some of the shoveling.  What a blessing to this neighborhood to have fresh vegetables right outside your back door!

We went over to visit our elderly neighbor and discovered it was his eightieth birthday--so we quickly baked a cake, stuck a candle in it, and went and sang.  He has no children--only a nephew that occasionally stops by to help.

Then Ana wanted to go to a birthday party because no one else from her class was going and the boy was very sad.  Although I was apprehensive because I knew not much English is spoken, I wanted to encourage this kind behavior Ana displayed--so we went.  We enjoyed the best carne asada I've had outside of Honduras and made new friends.  She missed out on the pinata and cake because after two and a half hours they still hadn't gotten that far :)  BUT I am so glad we went and I'm thrilled that my child fits in with all peoples! (Note to self--next time attending a hispanic birthday party--dress up!!)

No comments: