Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Forbidden City--Are We There Yet?

To get to the Forbidden City was an easy walk from our hotel.  This was my favorite of the four places we visited and I would have liked to explore it more!
What was funny to me is how many gates you had to go through to actually get in the Forbidden City.  Seriously would have been hard to get to the Emperor which I guess is the point!!  We'd see a massive gate and I'd think--this is it, but no. (And by this time I'm guessing we'd walked around 15 miles over the two days we'd been there--we were a little tired!) You know you're close when you see masses of people. (What was interesting to me is that there really weren't that many foreign tourists--it was mainly Chinese tourists!)  The last admission is at 4 pm and we arrived around 3--so there were lots of other people trying to buy their tickets before time ran out!
                                                  
 Even when you got in there were vast plazas to cross before you could even see anything.  Some of the stones were in a more original state (i.e. difficult to walk on), but they had made a path of smooth stones you could follow if you wished.  Many things were undergoing renovation--so that's why you see all the netting.
Just to give you some perspective, here's Matt and the kids standing outside the "main gate." B.I.G!!

No comments: